ShellWala.com is an e-commerce platform that sells all the handicraft goods, majorly the seashell products (for now) available in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Basically, ShellWala.com sells Crafts & Souvenirs available in the Andaman Island. ShellWala.com is based out of Port Blair, having said that, it sells its products online. The company like any other e-commerce company displays its products on the website, which is a common marketplace for buyers. The customers choose their preferred product and place an order online. The customers choose their preferred mode of payment and we dispatch their product. The package is delivered to their doorstep by our delivery partners. All in all, the whole transaction takes place online, we have shifted the marketplace and broadened the customer segment. This innovative and user friendly e-commerce platform is a link between the two, for the sale of genuine handicrafts available in Andaman and for the promotion of Andaman & Nicobar Islands as a tourist destination.
The Tourism & Handicrafts go hand in hand because of the fact that souvenirs play a major role in the Tourism Industry of a Tourist Destination and also the very fact that every region is known for its culture, values and traditions which again are displayed by its handicrafts. The popularity and the rise in the Tourism Industry needed the support of the Handicrafts Industry. The time had come to revamp the existing Handicrafts sector with the assistance of innovative reform and linking it to the rising Tourism Industry. The market was huge and the demand was increasing, but the sector was very unorganized. The methods of trade and the way the business is conducted is still very unorganized and conventional. The ways of predicting the needs were obsolete and catering the fluctuating demand of the finished goods was also a great challenge. The need for streamlining and making the whole process transparent was realized. The need for involving technology and upgrading the current system by broadening the market was realized. The need for creating a marketing platform for sale traditional handicrafts to newer markets and potential customers was realized and hence this platform was created.
ShellWala.com is a common platform that bridges the gap between the Tourism and the Handicrafts Industries. Both the Tourism and Handicraft sectors are directly related to each other and help the artisans and weavers showcase their skills to the world. The Tourism and Handicrafts sector go together and the two cannot be separated, instead it is imperative need to link the handicrafts sector to the travel & tourism industry.
- ShellWala.com is a single platform that deals in souvenirs available in Andaman (Seashells for now). The manufacturers directly deal with ShellWala.com and no one else is involved in between. The delivery and payment is taken care of by ShellWala.com through its delivery partners and Payment Gateway. All in all, ShellWala.com is one stop shop for direct buyers.
- The Customers can order anything they like sitting in any corner of the world, online and now, have an ease of accessibility.
- The customer may choose whatever he likes from the list of products that we have, sorted and categorised according to different types with unique codes for each product.
- The customers don’t have to worry about the genuineness of the product and can order whatever they like by reading reviews. Also, they can return what they don’t like within the return window.
- With the advent of this platform, people come to know what we are selling and what Andaman has to offer. The platform in a way, doesn’t just sell Sea Shells, it depicts what Andaman has to offer to its potential tourists.
- This platform will be remarkable in terms of branding. The Handicrafts and the Tourism Industry go hand in hand. This platform will position itself as a platform selling Handicrafts and Souvenirs being sold in the Islands through online marketing.
It’s almost been over a year from when we launched our platform and almost a year since we started our operations. We have served about 50 customers now and soon plan on expanding our customer base by selling into the B2B market. With the advent of this platform, people come to know what we are selling and what Andaman has to offer. The platform in a way, doesn’t just sell Sea Shells, it depicts what Andaman has to offer to its potential tourists. The customers don’t have to worry about the genuineness of the product and can order whatever they like by reading reviews. Also, they can return what they don’t like within the return window. The customers not only get what they want but they also get it at competitive rates and in majority of the cases, cheaper than the market rate.
With time, the tech savvy & online unified world we have today, will realise the exciting experience our Island has to offer them. Time has come for the world to know that the Andaman & Nicobar Islands has preserved its biodiversity and yet developed over time.4